Monday, January 9, 2012

Benefits of Online P.E.



The selection below comes from this blog post: click here for more on this topic:
http://gettingsmart.com/blog/2012/01/online-pe-not-just-a-virtual-workout/


The Benefits of Online PE.
  • Just like adults in the “real world,” students have to choose when, where, and how they exercise. Thus establishing a habit they can continue after class is over.
  • In addition to participating in regular physical activity, students learn the principles of health and fitness, not just the rules of a sport.
  • By choosing activities they enjoy, students are more likely to get started and stick with it over time.
  • Students receive individualized feedback from an instructor—kind of like having their own personal trainer.
  • Students perform in a non-competitive environment. This is ideal for students who are out of shape or uncomfortable in a group environment (often those who do poorly in a face to face PE setting).
  • Everything this tailored to the individual. With structured guidance they set their own goals, design their own program, and evaluate their progress.


Which reason(s) stand out as the main benefit to you as an online P.E. student?

 What other benefits could you identify for yourself or someone else?

What about drawbacks? What are the challenges and/or negative aspects of doing online P.E.?

 What suggestions do you have to improve online P.E.?

 Are there ways to combine the two ideas...online + traditional P.E. classes/settings?

1 comment:

  1. My number one reason for taking PE 10 online is so that I could fit more classes into my schedule. For IB HL Math 11, you need to already have taken regular Math 11. That must happen in grade 10 (and you need to take Grade 10 Math in Grade 9, or in my case, in grade 8 since I did two years in one). Fitting all the classes in is nearly impossible.
    I also don't love traditional PE, as it focuses on team sports. I really don't like team sports--mostly the competitive and combative nature of most team sports. I did play on the volleyball team in elementary school, but I preferred being on the badminton team, track team, and swimming team.
    What I like most about online PE is being able to do the activities that I like most. I have a wide variety of activities in which I am interested, but most of them are not found in the school setting. I like to ski, kayak, swim, paddle board, and other water sports. I also like to lift weights and am lucky to have a trainer. Now that it's getting warm, I'll be out golfing more too.
    I am very self-motivated to stay fit. Online PE would be hard for someone who does not like to be active. I am also lucky to have a parent who was a PE teacher, because that just means we are naturally going to be out doing something on most days.

    ReplyDelete